May 17 – 19 – Cycling and Social events for all sizes of wheels
To register for events: Fatandskinnytirefest.com
WARSAW – WINONA LAKE, IN—Celebrate National Bicycle Month on your wheel size of choice. Come on down to the Fat & Skinny Tire Fest May 17 – 19th and get ready to ride.
Celebrating their 16th year as creators and hosts, the team at KCV Cycling inaugurated the event in 2004 as a way to showcase the many benefits of cycling. What began as not much more than a bike race has developed into a multi-day community-welcoming festival where those who love cycling and community energy will find:
* DINO Series mountain bike racing in Winona Lake Trails
* A 19, 39, 63 or 101 mile casual road riding tour throughout the rolling farmland of southeast Kosciusko County.
* BMX stunt & flatland shows on Friday and Saturday
* A Historical Winona Lake Town Tour
* Road racing events, including a 3.2-mile time trial from downtown Warsaw, a .5-mile island criterium course and the 9 mile circuit road race course
* Kids races, bike decorating, inflatables, bicycle skills course, safety clinics and many more activities
* Mountain Bike 4X (4-Cross) Head-to-head MTB race on the Hire Park BMX track
* Short-Track Mountain Bike Race around the Hire Park BMX track
* Even a celebrity beach cruiser corporate challenge race— the Orthopedic Cup.
* With a prize purse: The Zimmer Biomet Road Omnium Challenge, offering prize winnings for male/female road racers who complete in a multi-race competition. (Racers will score points for their finishes in all three of the road racing events through the weekend.)
It’s certainly no surprise that a Sunday afternoon beer garden is planned along with many family friendly and community social gathering events throughout the three-day fest. On Friday, a live music tent featuring Dos Hermanos sets the stage for the family friendly Community Critical Mass Ride. Thus, kicking off a weekend of all things cycling, showcasing the Warsaw area’s dynamic and diverse cycling community.
“Once again, we are looking forward to hosting another all-size-tires bicycling shindig in northern Indiana with a few thousand friends,” said Greg Demopoulos, KCV Cycling president and Fat & Skinny Tire Fest co-director. “We feel there’s no better way to celebrate National Bicycle Month and raise awareness for the many benefits of bicycling by getting the community involved.”
Presented by K21 Health Foundation, Fat & Skinny Tire Fest celebrates not only competitive cycling, but riding for the health of it. With so many riding opportunities for the community, “People will love taking pride in one of the midwest’s best weekend festivals,” Greg said.
What Goes Round at KCV:
Kosciusko County Velo (KCV) is a volunteer-run, non-profit focused on making Kosciusko County a great place to live, work, play and visit through bicycling. The group promotes awareness, access and activities for bicycling enthusiasts . . . “and those who want to be.” For more, visit kcvcycling.org, winonanlaketrails.com and fatandskinnytirefest.com.